Here you will find the CC&Rs for Westwood Gardens Civic Association.
The WGCA CC&Rs are for the original WGCA area (Overland to Midvale).
The "Ponty" tract (short for Ponticopoulos) are slightly different from original development.
As many of our long-time residents know, the properties in Westwood Gardens come with deed restrictions. These were put in place by the developer of the property to keep a "parklike" feel to the neighborhood and to maintain property values. This information should have been given you when you purchased your home (through escrow or from your agent) and a summary is provided below.
Note that some of the restrictions are more restrictive than City code, particularly the provision about fences in the front yard. We encourage all residents to comply with these restrictions and to creatively use landscaping rather than fencing in
Lack of knowledge concerning the deed restrictions on property in Westwood Gardens frequently causes violations of the restrictions. Violations can cause financial loss to the violators if corrections are required and could inhibit the resale potential of your property. The Board of Directors prefers to prevent violations and provides this SUMMARY of the principal deed restrictions affecting all residential lots in this area.
No structure shall be erected, altered, placed, or permitted to remain other than one detached single-family dwelling not to exceed two stories in height, a private garage for not more than two cars, and other customary outbuildings.
No building shall be located on any lot nearer than 20 feet to the front lot line, or nearer than 10 feet to any side street line, or nearer than 5 feet to any side lot line, except that a garage or other outbuilding located at least 70 feet from the front lot line may be built nearer than 5 feet to a side lot line. In addition, the distance between a detached garage or residence on one lot and the residence on an adjoining lot shall in no event be less than 10 feet.
No fences whatsoever, and no hedges higher than 3 feet, shall be erected or permitted to remain between the street and the front setback line of any lot.
No noxious or offensive trade or activity shall be carried out upon any lot, nor shall anything be done thereon that may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood.
No trailer, basement, tent, shack, garage, barn, or other outbuilding erected on any lot shall at any time be used as a residence temporarily or permanently, nor shall any structure of a temporary character be used as a residence.
Breaches of any of these restrictions shall not render invalid the lien of any mortgage or deed of trust, but the restrictions shall be binding upon any owner acquiring title by foreclosure, trustee's sale, or otherwise.
In case of a violation of, or an attempt to violate, any of these restrictions, any other lot-owner may sue to prevent such violation, to remedy it, or to recover damages for it.
These restrictions are in addition to those imposed by city zoning ordinances and are fully detailed in the Los Angeles County Recorder's Office in Book 21218, page 165; Book 21755, page 81; and Book 22028, page 83, Official Records. Copies may also be obtained from the WGCA Board of Directors, any title company, and many local real estate brokers.
WGCA PONTY TRACT - CC&Rs
WESTWOOD GARDENS CIVIC ASSOCIATION
DEED RESTRICTIONS ON PONTY TRACT
The following is a condensed summary of the principle deed restrictions affecting the lots in the PONTICOPOULOS tract:
1. All lots fronting Overland Avenue are restricted against vehicular access from said avenue.
2. No noxious or offensive trade or activity shall be carried on or upon any lot nor shall anything be done thereon which may be or become any annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood.
3. No trailer, basement, tent, shack, garage, barn or other outbuilding erected in the tract shall at any time be used as a residence temporarily or permanently nor shall any structure of a temporary character be used as a residence.
4. No fence shall be erected or permitted to remain between the street and the from setback line, other than picket fences not over two (2) feet high; nor shall any hedge therein be permitted to exceed the height of three (3) feet.
5. No building or fence shall be erected, placed or altered on any building in this subdivision until the building plan, specifications and plot plans showing the location of such building have been approved in writing as to conformity and harmony of external design with the existing structures in the subdivision, and as to location of building with respected to topography and finished ground elevation, by a committee composed of three persons: Spiros G. Ponty, George Ponty and Allan F. Derr, 5482 North Hollywood Way, Burbank, California. This provision shall lapse on January 1, 1985, unless at that time a majority of the tract owners agree to extend its terms.
6. Until January 1, 1985, the lots may be used only for one-story and/or two-story single private dwelling houses. In addition, no garage may be erected which shall provide space for more than two automobiles.
7. No building shall be located on any lot nearer than 15 feet to the front lot line or nearer than 5 feet to any side street line, and no building shall be located nearer than 3 feet to any interior lot line, except no side yard shall be required for a garage or other permitted accessory building. Note that eaves, steps, and open porches shall not be considered part of a building for purposes of this covenant.